A Data Engineer is responsible for designing and implementing complex data flows that have been expertly developed to connect operational systems, data for analytics, and business intelligence systems.
The role is incredibly varied and involves highly qualified Engineers collecting, managing, and converting raw data into usable information that Data Scientists and Business Analysts can then interpret.
Ultimately, it is the job of a Data Engineer to optimize the accessibility of data so that businesses can maximize their performance.
What are the responsibilities of a Senior Data Engineer?
If you’re looking to advance your career as a Data Engineer, it’s important to understand what a senior role entails.
Here are just some of the responsibilities that come hand in hand with a Senior Data Engineer role:
• Overseeing the department's data integration work
• Maintaining a sound data warehouse and analytics environment
• Writing scripts for data integration and analysis
• Acquiring datasets that align with and meet bespoke business requirements
• Analyzing and organizing raw data
• Ensuring compliance with data governance and security policies
• Interpreting trends and patterns
• Conducting complex data analysis
• Reporting on data analysis results
• Building algorithms and prototypes
• Building data systems in line with business needs
• Developing data models
• Developing analytical tools and programs
• Collaborating with data scientists and architects
• Building, testing, and maintaining database pipeline architectures
• Exploring ways to enhance and optimize the quality, efficiency, and reliability of data.
What skills are required to secure a Senior Data Engineer role?
When applying for any Data Engineer role, it is considered favorable to possess the following skills:
• Excellent numerical skills
• Sound analytical skills
• Excellent leadership skills
• A high level of technical expertise working with data models
• Expertise in working with data mining and segmentation techniques
• Knowledge of core programming languages such as JAVA
• Hands-on experience with SQL database design
• Previous experience as a data engineer.
To become a Data Engineer, a bachelor's degree in a numerical field, such as mathematics, computer programming, or science will stand you in good stead in securing a role.
Of course, if you don’t have a relevant degree, you can still apply for a Senior Data Engineer role, provided you have the required skills and experience as outlined in the job description.
What is the average salary for a Senior Data Engineer?
The national average salary for a Data Engineer in the US is $136,000.
Get in touch today to submit your resume
Our global team has extensive knowledge of this sector, with an unrivaled portfolio of clients, both large and small.
Submit your resume to become part of our ever-growing database and be first to find out about our Data Engineer opportunities.